My Incredible Journey Through North-East India
A heartiest of greetings to my dear readers.
Recently during my summer holidays, I visited Meghalaya and Assam the astounding states of India with my parents. It was a marvellous trip where I was accompanied by my childhood friend and his family. We travelled through the busy roads of Shillong and Guwahati, and the scrubby lanes of Kaziranga. There were so many places to explore that it was rare if we were seen in our hotel rooms before dinner. We first ventured through the land of Guwahati in Assam where we went on a cruise to have a view of the mighty river of Brahmaputra.
After a long day in Guwahati, we set off for Kaziranga early the next morning. There were rows and rows of the tea plantation. The air smelled refreshing and even tasty! Kaziranga had rainy weather when we finally arrived and unfortunately for us, we had a jeep safari planned immediately after. As I clad myself in a raincoat assuming to be totally drenched by the end of the safari, the heavy rain became a soft drizzle. Ours was among the last few jeeps to enter the forest that afternoon. My excitement was uncontainable as I had never seen a rhino before but even after spending over an hour in the rain and trying to spot a rhino or two from the sight tower, I saw nothing other than beautiful scenery. While returning back from the forest with a heavy heart, I saw something that made my heart skip a beat. I saw a mother and a baby rhino right in front of our jeep busy grazing grass. They were out probably for an evening snack. I had a lot of fun that day. The next morning we went for an elephant safari to see more rhinos in the other part of the forest. I rode an elephant with my mother into an enamouring piece of land filled with numerous trees, bushes and flowers. I saw many magnificent, shining like black-textured leather rhinos that day along with buffalos, swamp deer, sambar deer and many beautiful birds.
After spending two lovely days in Kaziranga we set out for the heart of our trip, Shillong. Shillong is a busy place I must say, but the number of places to visit from there and its breezy weather made up for it. We visited many grand and impressive waterfalls like the Seven Sisters and the Elephant Falls, and the dense and very appealing Mawphlang Sacred Forest. The forest is said to be holy and holds the spirit of the nature god. Here, I saw trees that were older than 500 years, standing tall and strong, preserved by mother earth. No one is allowed to take back anything from this forest, not even a piece of grass as it is considered a bad omen. Our guide for this wondrous forest was an excellent photographer and took many interesting photos of me with my friend and family. The last destination of my trip was the very scenic Dawki River where I got to touch the India-Bangladesh border.
I think this was the most pre-eminent trip I have ever been on. Hope you enjoyed reading about it as much.
I will be back soon with another experience to share.
Asmi
Woah! An amazing piece of work with an underlying yet important message of preserving our natural surroundings.
ReplyDelete